Am I A Candidate?
Mid Louisiana Surgical Specialists
3311 Prescott Rd Ste 201
Alexandria, LA 71301
Phone : 318-442-6767
Email : Click Here To Email Us
Our forms require Adobe Reader. If you have trouble viewing the forms, please Click Here to download the FREE Adobe Reader application.
Your Journey to Weight Loss
Congratulations! If you've reached this page, you've probably decided that bariatric surgery may be right for you. You've made a very important decision that could change your life, and now is the time to turn that decision into action. The process ahead may be daunting, but remember that our team of trained professionals is here to help you from beginning to end. The checklist below will get you started on your journey to better health:
If you haven't yet done your research:
- Check your BMI on our Getting Started page. Your BMI is a rough guide to determining if you are a candidate for surgery. If your BMI is over 40 you may qualify. If it is between 35 and 39 you may also qualify for bariatric surgery if you have two or more diseases related to obesity.
- Research the procedures and see which you think is best for you. Don't worry if you don't know. Based on a number of factors, one procedure may be better for you than another, and together we'll find the right answer.
Now that you've done some research:
- Start looking into your insurance options. Many insurance companies are now covering the major bariatric procedures including gastric bypass, gastric band (Lap Band and Realize Band) and gastric sleeve. Now is a good time to call your insurance company to see if your specific plan covers surgery. You can also call us, and we will help you very your benefits with your insurance company. You will also need to meet various criteria specific to each insurance company, so make sure you fully understand your plan's requirements.
- Fill out our Patient Intake form. This form will help us gauge your suitability for surgery.
- Sign up for and attend a free seminar. These seminars are important and required to continue in our program. Bring your filled out intake form with you to the seminar.
- If you qualify for bariatric surgery you will be scheduled for a one-on-one consultation with your bariatric surgeon. During this meeting you will finalize the details of your surgery and go over the risks, benefits and aftercare associated with your procedure.
- We will run various short and painless physical and psychological tests to determine your physical and mental suitability for surgery.
- Congratulations, within 4-6 weeks you'll be taking your first step toward renewed health with bariatric surgery!